Welcome

I'd like to welcome you all to my blog spot. I blog about real life situations. I try to keep as entertaining as possible without being cliche and keeping real all at the same time. I appreciate any feedback and comments that my followers leave for me. I hope you enjoy.

1Love
AV

Monday, September 27, 2010

Education Please!




When I look at our school system in the United States I fear for our children as well as the future of America. Now before I go any further, I'd like to address the fact I have only attended private and public schools in the state of Florida. This is just one man's opinion and many of you I'm sure will disagree with my outlook on this situation. You are inclined to do so. But I digress. The first question that needs to be addressed is how did the most powerful nation in the world fall so far behind in terms of education. I think finger pointing is the blame. No one wants to take any responsibility. The parents are pointing at the teachers, the teachers are pointing at the parents and the school board and the school board thinks cutting cost is always the answer. Noting in the history of the world was ever resolved with finger pointing. Someone has to step up and hold themselves accountable for the disastrous education our children are receiving. I am fully aware that there are phenomenal teachers in our schools. I was fortunate and blessed enough to have been taught by many of them. But while I was being taught by some of the best, I had friends being taught by the worst of the worst! So how do we resolve an issue so deeply rooted in our own communities and within our country? I strongly believe it starts at home.






From the time we are born we are raised by our mothers and fathers.  Although fathers have become scarce in many of our communities, our mothers have remained strong in trying to raise us up right.  Regardless of whether its a single parent household or both parents happen to be present, it is their job to prepare their children for the world.  I walked in to kindergarten in 1991 and I knew how to read, write and do math.  Up until that day I had never met a teacher in my life.  My father worked for the city of North Miami and my mother was working at Equifax.  Neither of them attended college and neither of them were extremely studious in high school.  So it clearly doesn't take a genius to put a child in position to learn and be successful.  If you as a parent don't put your child in a position to succeed, you can all but guarantee they'll fail.  Are there children who rise above all of that? Absolutely!  But for everyone child that does there are a hundred that don't.  I don't know about you that is one statistic I'm not taking my chances with.  If you can stress the importance of learning and education into your child at a young age they will always carry that with them.  They will understand what it takes and they will strive for excellence because you help show them the way.  You as a parent can't expect your child to go to school and instantly be eager to learn when you haven't given him/her any incentive to want to learn.  They are children and the majority of children and adults even are driven by external motivation.  It is your job as a parent to motivate your child to get them to understand the value of an education because they are too young and naive to comprehend that on their own.  After you've motivated them and explained the importance it is your job to follow through with your actions.  Be involved as much as you can whether is checking their homework, attending parent teacher conferences or whatever it is you need to do to show your child they are not alone in their strive for excellence.  It is not enough to just say "Education is important so go to school and learn."  But then you're oblivious to the fact that your child is failing until the report card comes out.  That's child neglect whether the state says so or not.  We have to make a concerted effort to start our children's love for education and strive for excellence at home.

Which brings me to my next point.  Teachers, educators or what have you, have one the hardest jobs known to man.  They have taken on the responsibility of educating our future.  I feel they are so under appreciated and taken for granted every single day!  It has gotten so bad in our schools that teachers are being forced into classrooms of 30 or more students.  I'd say thirty percent of the students could careless and are only in school because they have to be so they're constantly distracting those who actually do care to learn.  Do you realize how hard it is for a teacher trying to get through to 30 kids when 10 of them could give a damn.  I think this is one of many reasons why some teachers have given up on trying to educate and just show up and give out work.  Its easier to hand out assignments and say this is due at the end of the class than it is to try to teach a lesson while you have 30 percent of the class is texting, playing games or whatever it is they are doing to cause a distraction.  But then what happens to the other 15 or 20 students.  They're education takes a hit because of those who don't give a damn?  That's clearly not an ideal situation.  Lets talk about standardized testing shall we. The Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test also known as the "FCAT" was first administered in 1998 to students statewide.  All third grade students must pass the reading section in order to move on and all high school students must pass reading and math to receive their high school diploma.  At first glance one would say they should absolutely have to pass a test to graduate to show they can at least read and write.  But if they take a deeper look into what goes on behind the scenes perhaps they could see the cause for concern.  When school starts in August the FCAT is being stressed from day one.  The whole curriculum is revolves around getting students to pass the FCAT.  Which means many teachers take on the attitude, "if its not on it, we're not teaching it."  Well why would some teachers take on such an attitude?  Perhaps because the school board has been in talks about basing their salaries on the performance of the students and their FCAT scores.  This has go to be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard in my life!  It just sends the wrong message to all parties involved.  Students strart to stress about one test determining their futures and teachers are stressing because their livelihood in being placed in the hands of 8 year olds and high students passing a test.  Standardized testing accomplishes nothing when put to the wrong use.  I do however feel students should take an assessment test the first week of school in a variety of subject matters.  That same test should be given at the end of the school year and then I feel we would have a better assessment of how our children are performing as well as how our teachers are educating them.  I am in no way, shape or form on board with teachers salaries being based on the success of the child.  Especially considering that where the school is geographically places a huge role in the performance of the students.  Is the system flawed? Yes.  Can it be fixed over night? No.  But did we wait too long to try to right this ship? Absolutely!  Something has to be done and its going to take a collected effort from all of us to get back on board and give our children the best chance at an education as well succeeding in life.

I've always wanted to make a difference in children's lives.  I grew up in the Boys and Girls Club and that changed my life for the better.  If I am ever blessed enough financially to open up one of my own I will do so and it will be with love and not for financial gain.  Our children are our future and if we don't invest our time and energy into them the streets will.  It starts at home! God bless.

1Love
AV

No comments:

Post a Comment